Versions 8.0 & 7.0 can coexist, but...

Questions and discussions about the setup and installation of Tru-Traffic

Moderator: bullock

Versions 8.0 & 7.0 can coexist, but...

Postby bullock » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:03 pm

While the two versions can be installed on the same machine without interference, there's a quirk in the v8 setup that complicates this. I unknowingly set a parameter in the v8 setup that, unfortunately, causes it to uninstall v7 when it installs v8. That wasn't the intent, but it seems I'm stuck with it now because to change it would mean that when someone updates from 8.0.0.x to 8.0.0.y, they'd end up with two copies of 8.0 installed!

One result is that, if you wish to roll back v7 (for example, if you were just evaluating v8), then you'll need to reinstall v7. To get the latest v7, scroll to the bottom of the Downloads page http://www.tru-traffic.com/downloads.htm and click Archives.

To make the two versions coexist, that is, to work around the uninstall, make a backup of the v7 folder (typically C:\Program Files\TS-PP-Draft) before installing v8 then restoring the v7 folder from the backup. It may also be sufficient to just temporarily rename the v7 folder before installing v8 then renaming it back when you'e finished, but I haven't tested this. Either way, you'll probably want to create a new shortcut for v7, putting it either on the desktop or in your Start Programs menu, as the v8 setup will replace the v7 shortcuts with its own.

Sorry for the hassle.

Greg
bullock
Site Admin

Return to Installation