Trip Log won't Plot

Questions and discussions about operating Tru-Traffic

Moderator: bullock

Trip Log won't Plot

Postby briniker » Thu May 18, 2017 4:23 pm

We have SB trip log (imported into Tru-Traffic) that will not plot. It displays in the network view, I can view the data in the Details Table, and when I make a TT&D Report, I get some data in the details tab, but no data in the summary or cumulative tabs. The trip log does not extend the full length of the arterial diagram; however, I don't think this should matter, because with other arterial, I've had trip logs (travel time runs) that fall short of the full length of the arterial, and the trip log plots the available data, and just shows up on the plot as an incomplete run. I've attached the DGM file with the trip log (I tried to upload the GPX file of the trip log, but I got a message that it's not allowed). Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
YorkGreenmount_SB_problem-triplog.Dgm
(126.6 KiB) Downloaded 765 times
briniker

Re: Trip Log won't Plot

Postby AnnePlatt » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:36 pm

Hi,

We are having this exact problem with 2 files we are working with. The travel runs that were conducted in the PM peak are fine but the AM and Midday files aren't cooperating. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks so much,

Andrea
Regional Municipality of Durham
AnnePlatt

Postby bullock » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:19 pm

Hi, Andrea.

You're probably already aware of the troubleshooting steps at

http://www.tru-traffic.com/faq.htm#TTDR ... tersection

which can usually fix any of a number of possible causes for this problem. The User's Manual and the Help file also give these same troubleshooting steps, if you prefer those sources.

Those steps probably do not mention an additional consideration that applies only to the Plots from Trip Logs, which is that a plot is available in a given direction only if trip logs pass through the first intersection in that direction. The TT&D report analyzes trip logs that enter or depart midstream, but the plots can show only trip logs that enter at the first intersection (but may depart midstream). If this is the case, you may want to start by using the Arterial Outline View to duplicate the arterial diagram, accepting the offer to link the duplicated intersections. This in the duplicate diagram, delete the outlying intersections. After that, you should be able to generate plots for that truncated, duplicate arterial diagram.

This turned out to be problem in the case that briniker originally posted, which we resolved offline. But that case has an added twist: For some reason, the Network View is retaining an earlier, since-modified layout, with the result that it shows the trip log passing through #109 when in fact it bypasses #109. If you want to see this, while viewing #109 in the Network View (and possibly zoomed in to make it all more apparent), right-click on the Network View and choose Layout Grid with Geographic Coordinates. (This is one of the first steps prescribed in those troubleshooting instructions that I referenced). You'll see that the Network View was misleading you about just where #109 sits with respect to the trip log.

I've seen the Network View get in states like this, where its layout needs refreshing but doesn't do it automatically. I haven't been able to reproduce it at will to figure out why it doesn't fix automatically, so the annoyance persists in ver 10 and prior. Ver 11 will include some changes to reduce or, I hope, eliminate these refresh-required states.

If those steps and comments don't resolve everything, please let me know and send the .Dgm file.

Regards.
Greg
bullock
Site Admin

Postby AnnePlatt » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:04 pm

Hi Greg,

Thank you as always for your quick reply and helpful info.

The arterial we were driving ended at a highway interchange so to avoid having to get off and on the highway each trip we didn't travel directly through the intersection each time. We would make either a left hand turn or a right hand turn and now I recall that sometimes I would hear the acknowledgement that the GPS coordinate had been reached but most times I wouldn't. It makes sense why, without a proper starting point it, it would be difficult for the program to report information from that node to the next.

We will try what you suggested.

Thanks again,

Andrea
AnnePlatt

Postby bullock » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:20 pm

Depending on how close the bypassing runs get to the first node, it may suffice to enlarge the intersection extent at that node so it envelopes all the runs.

If you'd like to upload your *.Dgm file, I may be able to offer additional suggestions.

Greg
bullock
Site Admin

Return to Program Operation