All intersections in one file

Questions and discussions about operating Tru-Traffic

Moderator: bullock

All intersections in one file

Postby rmyers » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:24 am

How can I take all my zones and import them into one file? What happens when I update a zone how do I update it in the master file after the master file has been created? Thanks
rmyers

Re: All intersections in one file

Postby bullock » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:31 pm

If you have *.dgm files for each of the zones, then choose one diagram file to be the first artery, open that file and use it as a starting point. You might want to use File: Save As... and give the open diagram file a new name so you don't overwrite the original file. Merge the diagram file for the second artery by using the File: Merge: As New Diagrams command. Repeat that step for each additional artery in the network.

There's a tutorial "Creating a Network" in the help file that discusses this in a little more detail.

After updating one file, you can update the master file to some extent using the CopyFromDgmFile utility. This lets you transfer timing-plan independent parameters from one file to the other. It uses the intersection ID numbers to match intersections. But as this only works for parameters that are common to all timing plans, I think most users tend to do the updates in the reverse direction: they change a parameter in the master file (coordinates, geometry, clearance times, etc.) and then use CopyFromDgmFile utility to transfer from that to the individual zone files with the timings. Some users like to use the master file as the starting point whenever they want to create a new zone file -- they open the master file and use File: Save As... to give it the zone-specific name, then customize the file for that zone.

Other forum members may want to offer their own tips here on what works best for them.

Regards.
Greg
bullock
Site Admin

Return to Program Operation