Having problems using TSPP Software

Questions and discussions about operating Tru-Traffic

Moderator: bullock

Re: Having problems using TSPP Software

Postby bullock » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:54 pm

Thank you, Arjun.

I'm sorry for the hassle, but we all appreciate your help in reporting, diagnosing, and solving problems like this.

I agree that the Deluo USB GPS for Laptop looks promising and should work without trouble and without Franson GPS Gate. Franson GPS Gate is only useful with Garmin USB GPS receivers. Most other, non-Garmin USB GPS receivers include a driver to emulate a virtual serial port so software still can connect via the NMEA standard.

The way to tell is by whether their specifications mention "NMEA" -- that pretty much implies that their USB driver includes serial port emulation. Clicking that link, I confirmed that Deluo USB GPS for Laptop specifies NMEA, so it should work fine with TS/PP-Draft. Inexpensive, too!

Unfortunately, the Deluo USB GPS for Laptop specifications do not indicate that it's using a chipset such as the SiRFstarIII and SiRFstarIIe/LP, which use SiRFXTrac. This isn't critical, and it may not even matter, but it's unfortunate. That chipset can help the GPS receiver maintain a fix in low-signal conditions, such as urban canyons or under tree canopies. If you find the Deluo USB GPS for Laptop loses a fix in those conditions (but not otherwise), then you can point this out to your company's purchasing agents and perhaps persuade them to get you a GPS that uses SiRFstarIII or SiRFstarIIe/LP (such as the Pharos and a few from DeLorme).

Regards.
Greg
bullock
Site Admin

Postby Mallikarjuna » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:48 pm

Hello Greg,

Not a problem. I understand your concern. I will talk to our higher level engineers about this. If they think that this is necessary, then we might order different GPS like Pharos. Otherwise we will manage with whatever they have ordered it. I do not think this is going be a problem for New York City Area as our study arterial are in open space and have no obstructions. But it is necessary to buy good GPS receiver for future projects.

I have sent you an email with diagnostic text that appears in diagnostic window. Please check your email.

Thank you.
-Arjun
Mallikarjuna

Postby Mallikarjuna » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:23 pm

Hello Greg,

I can reproduce the problem with the earlier version of TS/PP software that is, Version 8.0.0.9. I cannot reproduce the problem with the diagnostic version. It keeps logging until or unless the GPS gate disconnects from GPS. I think you have fixed the problem. I tested diagnostic version with 7 seconds of tolerance for interruptions. It worked fine. I recorded it more than 6 minutes.

I can also reproduce the problem with the current download version 8.0.0.11 which is available on the website.

-Arjun
Mallikarjuna

Postby bullock » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:14 pm

Thank you for the follow-up, Arjun. It seems the the collection of diagnostics is interfering with the very problem we're trying to diagnose.

I'll look into how that could occur. The answer may indicate how to truly solve the problem. If not, I may end up sending you a modified diagnostic version that will, I hope, merely diagnose the problem without otherwise interfering.

Regards.
Greg
bullock
Site Admin

Postby bullock » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:18 am

Hi, Arjun.

Thanks again for reporting the problem and for sending the diagnostics file.

I believe the problem is now fixed in version 8.0.0.12, available for download.

Regards.
Greg
bullock
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Program Operation