Pedestrian walk time & FDW remain same for all timing plans

Questions and discussions about operating Tru-Traffic

Moderator: bullock

Pedestrian walk time & FDW remain same for all timing plans

Postby Mallikarjuna » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:13 pm

Hello Greg,

This is something strange for me. I have two different timing plans and the pedestrian walk and FDW are different for each plan. Tru-Traffic keeps these timings same for all timing plans even if I change them manually. I checked everywhere in the manual. Nowhere this is explained.

Could you please explain to me why it is like this. If it is a bug, could you please fix it and upload it ASAP.

Thank you
-Arjun
Mallikarjuna

Re: Pedestrian walk time & FDW remain same for all timing plans

Postby bullock » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:27 pm

Hi, Arjun.

Alas, that's by design; it isn't a bug. That is, until reading your message, I had no idea that different timing plans might use different values for the clearance times. So the software stores the clearance times just once for all timing plans, and changing the clearance time affects all timing plans.

As a rule, some parameters are specific to the currently-selected timing plan, and some are common to all timing plans. The windows distinguish them by color. Parameters labeled in Dark Blue are specific to the currently-selected timing plan, while parameters in Black are common to all timing plans.

I can switch the clearance times to be timing plan-specific, but this will have to wait for the next major version as it affects the file format and has other internal implications.

Regards.
Greg
bullock
Site Admin

Postby Mallikarjuna » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:15 pm

Thank you Greg,

Yes, we do have clearance time different for different timing plans. Especially, ped's walking and FLW times are timing plan specific.

I understand the rule of identifying the parameters which are timing plan specific. I would prefer different color instead of Dark Blue, as it can't be distinguishable many times that Dark Blue looks same as Black. I would prefer any light colors to give some contrast. Anyway, this is just my opinion.

I think we need this change in order to use the software for our on going project as our study area has lot of pedestrians and EPPs. But, I or my colleague might talk to you privately regarding this subject.

Thank you
-Arjun
Mallikarjuna

Postby bullock » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:21 am

Hi, Arjun.

I'm happy to talk to you further about this.

The specification for UTDF 2.1 (the older, 5-file format) allows for multiple timing plans but defines the Walk time in a section common to all timing plans. This suggests
  • that among software, Tru-Traffic TS/PP is not alone in considering Walk time to be timing plan independent and, furthermore,
  • that any software that supports both multiple timing plans and UTDF 2.1 is constrained, upon import/export, to treat Walk time as timing plan independent
Perhaps your best option is to put the different timing plans, the ones with different clearance times, in separate files and use the CopyFromDgmFile utility to maintain the timing plan independent parameters in common between the files.

Regards.
Greg
bullock
Site Admin

Postby Mallikarjuna » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:32 pm

Hello Greg,

We thought of doing the same. I think that is the immediate solution.

I do not know much about UTDF older 5 file format. But that is good as long as we do not bother too much on pedestrian crossings. The city like New York or any other city where you see heavy pedestrian crossings depending on the time of the day, it really matters. I do not know why this is being independent in UTDF format, but in my opinion they depend on timing plan. If you want see it, I can send you a copy a of timing plan or you can have a look at the timing plan I sent to you recently. It has different peds walk and FDW times for two timing plans.

The pedestrian walk and FDW times important for us because we are parallely suggesting our client what timing plan would be the best for both ped's crossing and vehicle movement along the corridor.

Anyway, at present, it seems like the above solution is the best and we will wait for the next major change in your software.

Thank you
-Arjun
Mallikarjuna

Postby bullock » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:46 pm

There's a poll now open to solicit your preference in color used to indicate parameters specific to the current timing plan.

It's at http://www.tsppd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=274.

Regards.
Greg
bullock
Site Admin

Return to Program Operation