Speed Calculation

Questions and discussions about operating Tru-Traffic

Moderator: bullock

Speed Calculation

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:43 am

I am not sure if this falls under program operation because Tru-Traffic already does this or its a wish list. I am trying to get a speed for a corridor. How fast did I travel from point A to point F, without the stuff in the middle (A to B, B to C, C to D..). That way I can ignore anything that has me going faster than I actually was going, which the cumulative number may give me.
Chris

Re: Speed Calculation

Postby bullock » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:54 am

Hi, Chris.

You're right, the cumulative number, Cumulative Average Speed (CAS), is probably the one you want -- specifically, the value given at the last node crossing, which is also given on the Cumuative Summary page. It's defined as the cumulative distance divided by the cumulative travel time.

Be aware, though, that because of its definition, the value is affected by any stops and stopped delays your runs incurred en route. You may be more interested, instead, in the cumulative average moving speed, which you'd have to add as a user-defined formula, defined as the cumulative distance divided by the cumulative travel time minus the stopped delay.

You may also prefer to read a value, or values, from the Speed vs. Distance plots, where you can visually ignore regions where there are stops or slow downs.

If the number you're interested in is something different still, let me know. We may be able to calculate it with values already at hand.

Regards.
Greg
bullock
Site Admin

Re: Speed Calculation

Postby SpeedRacer » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:52 am

seems that its a physics problem guys.

well that was good to looked back,

goodluck to your calculation.
SpeedRacer

Return to Program Operation