UTDF problem

Questions and discussions about operating Tru-Traffic

Moderator: bullock

UTDF problem

Postby Stoene » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:56 pm

Hello,
I'm trying to import UTDF-.CSVs into Tru-Traffic TS/PP. I generated the files using ACTRA and have imported them into Sychro without problems. However, when imported into Tru-Traffic the link distances are all multiplied by a factor of 3.28. How do I fix that? Thanks, Joe
Attachments
NLR-B-1_layout.csv
(838 Bytes) Downloaded 651 times
Stoene

Re: UTDF problem

Postby bullock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:38 pm

Hi, Joe.

Tru-Traffic is interpreting the x-y coordinates as being specified in meters, instead of feet.

My reading of the UTDF 2.1 specification is that coordinates specified with a decimal place (and a digit after the decimal place) are assumed to be meters, and that coordinates specified without a decimal place are assumed to be feet. Tru-Traffic is following this interpretation.

You've found that Synchro reads the file differently -- interpreting the coordinates correctly as feet. This means that either I misunderstand the UTDF 2.1 specification or Synchro is not following the specification. I'll have to consult the Trafficware folks to determine which is the case.

In the meantime, to workaround the problem, you can open your layout .csv file in Excel (or your favorite spreadsheet), then rewrite it after ensuring decimal places are suppressed for the X-Y columns. Or perhaps ACTRA has an option to suppress the decimal places?

Alternatively, if you have an option to use UTDF 2006 "combined" file, then I recommend that, as the file format provides for explicit specification of the units of measure, eliminating any ambiguity.

Regards.
Greg
bullock
Site Admin

Re: UTDF problem

Postby Stoene » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:32 pm

Hello Greg,
That was it. I checked to see what units ACTRA is using. It is using feet. I found that by opening and closing the .csv file in excel, it asks if you want to keep the file in a .CSV format. Click yes and it gets rid of the decimal format. Thanks for the information. Joe
Stoene

Return to Program Operation