Plots wont' show any Southbound trips

Questions and discussions about operating Tru-Traffic

Moderator: bullock

Plots wont' show any Southbound trips

Postby JQ Alberta » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:03 pm

I'm trying to get the average trip data, out of many trips we've made.

To get there, I went to "Plots from trips Logs". The plots will show northbound trips, but will not show any of my southbound trips.

On the other hand, these southbound trips will show up correctly under Time-Space Diagram.

Do I have problems with my southbound log files?

Thanks again.

Jinsong Qi
JQ Alberta

Re: Plots wont' show any Southbound trips

Postby bullock » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:36 pm

Hi, Jinsong.

In generating the plots, Tru-Traffic processes only those runs that begin at the first intersection in any given direction of travel. Looking at the file you emailed to me, it seems the artery in your diagram file extends further north of your runs by three intersection. That is, your travel time runs go only as far north as node #3, but your arterial diagram extends to nodes #100, #102, and #105. In the southbound direction, there are no runs that begin at node #105, so Tru-Traffic doesn't plot any runs in that direction. Unfortunately, the software doesn't allow you to generate trip log plots using a downstream starting point (e.g., node #3).

To work around this, you can delete nodes #100, #102, and #105 altogether from the arterial diagram. If you want to keep those nodes there for coordination purposes, then I recommend that you
  • open the Arterial Outline View,
  • highlight the arterial diagram,
  • click the Duplicate button in the palette along the left edge,
  • click "Yes" to link the intersections between the original arterial diagram and its duplicate, and
  • delete nodes #100, #102, and #105 from the duplicate arterial diagram, leaving those nodes in the original.

After that, you can use the shortened, duplicate arterial diagram to generate your plots with the instantaneous averages of the runs in both directions of travel.

Regards.
Greg
bullock
Site Admin

Postby JQ Alberta » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Hi Greg,

You are right. I have to delete node #3 as well (in my duplicated), since my southbound trips started somewhere between #3 and #5. I got the SB trips plots now. Thanks again.

Jinsong
JQ Alberta

Postby pfeilc » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:18 pm

I am having a simular issue. When I "make the travel time and delay report" I don't get all of the intersections. For example, I have attached the files that I am having problems with. Each has 6 intersection. In the "pre-US1-AM.dgm" file, the report for the Northbound only summarizes 1 and while the Southbound generates all of them. We have used this for 3 separate cooridors and this one is the only cooridoor one I am having problems with. I would appreciate any assistace.
Thanks
Attachments
pre-US1-AM.Dgm
Northbound only shows 1 intersection, Southbound shows only 3 intersections,
(72.5 KiB) Downloaded 659 times
pre-US1-PM.Dgm
Northbound isn't showing any summary
(63.43 KiB) Downloaded 695 times
post-US1-md.Dgm
Northbound only shows 2 intersections
(114.25 KiB) Downloaded 634 times
pfeilc

Postby bullock » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:50 pm

This is the most common question/problem that Tru-Traffic users have.

The attached figure shows the specific cause and solution in this case, but more generally, the step by step instructions at http://www.tru-traffic.com/faq.htm#TTDReportMissingIntersection walk you through identifying and resolving most of the possible underlying causes of the problem.
JustOneGeoPosition-IntersectionExtentTooSmall.png
JustOneGeoPosition-IntersectionExtentTooSmall.png (113.8 KiB) Viewed 7662 times

See also the attached "Setup Tru-Traffic Network with Google Earth.pdf" file from Ron Keith at OCTA for detailed steps on using Google Earth to collect geographic positions of intersections and resolve the problem. The instructions highlight some of the tips and tricks more clearly than does the User's Manual.

Regards.
Greg
Attachments
Setup Tru Traffic Network with Google Earth.pdf
(182.63 KiB) Downloaded 692 times
bullock
Site Admin

Return to Program Operation