TT&D Report - Active Timing Plan controls Design Speeds

Questions and discussions about operating Tru-Traffic

Moderator: bullock

TT&D Report - Active Timing Plan controls Design Speeds

Postby DVielkanowitz » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:10 pm

File with two timing plans:
1) AM Peak (which includes school zone reduced speeds)
2) PM Peak (no speed reductions)

Many trip logs for both timing plans saved in this file.

If currently viewing the AM Peak time-space diagram and select 'view tt&d report for this artery', I can select any of the trip logs to create a report. If I select a PM Peak trip log, the report uses the reduced speeds of the AM Peak timing plan (I'm guessing since it is the active plan).

I verified that the PM trip log is assigned it to be visible in 'PM timing plan' only. The PM trip log is not plotted in the AM time space diagram which seems to be working correctly.

Is there a way to hide all timing plans that are not visible in the currently selected timing plan during the trip log selection step of 'view tt&d report for this artery' to eliminate this situation?

I was trying to save some time while generating a lot of reports for different arterials in the file when I realized the PM reports were using the AM speeds...my delays looked great though! That's what caught my eye...negative delays between intersections = exceeding design speed.
DVielkanowitz

Re: TT&D Report - Active Timing Plan controls Design Speeds

Postby bullock » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:35 pm

I thought I understood the question well until I read the last paragraph. Here's my reply based on my understanding, but you may need to clarify for me so I can reply more to the point.

If I select a PM Peak trip log, the report uses the reduced speeds of the AM Peak timing plan (I'm guessing since it is the active plan).

Correct. The TT&D report uses the speeds of whichever timing plan is currently selected when the report is generated.

Is there a way to hide all timing plans that are not visible in the currently selected timing plan during the trip log selection step of 'view tt&d report for this artery' to eliminate this situation?

I'm sure you meant to write, "a way to hide all trip logs that are not visible," instead of "a way to hide all timing plans that are not visible." While it doesn't exactly hide the inapplicable trip logs, you may use the Period designation to group all the AM and, separately, the PM trip logs, making it easier to uncheck the ones you don't want and check only from within the group that you do care about. In GPS View: Trip Logs,
  1. Sort all your trip logs by time of day (Start Time).
  2. Select all the AM trip logs, right-click, and set the Trip Log Period to AM Peak (or something similar).
  3. Select all the PM trip logs, right-click, and set the Trip Log Period to PM Peak (or something similar).
Thereafter, when you're viewing the list of trip logs to include/exclude in the TT&D report, you can click the Period column header to group (and separate) all the AM & PM trip logs.

Of course, you can also use the time of day (Start Time) column directly as the discriminator by clicking that column header as you're selecting from the list of trip logs for the TT&D report, but that would still require that you read through the various individual start times to find the AM/PM gap. It's quicker for the eye to find that gap if all the AM trip logs are labelled identically and also all the PM trip logs but with a distinct label.

I like the suggestion to list only those trip logs that are visible in the currently selected timing plan. I'll consider that for a future enhancement.

I was trying to save some time while generating a lot of reports for different arterials in the file when I realized the PM reports were using the AM speeds...my delays looked great though!

Not sure I'm following this correctly. When you generated the PM reports, had you first switched to the PM timing plan? If so, then the reports should have been using the PM speeds, not the AM speeds (although, they could have included some of the AM trip logs because of the ease, as you described, in including trip logs that you don't actually want).

Regards.
Greg
bullock
Site Admin

Return to Program Operation