Com 1 and Speech commands

Questions and discussions about operating Tru-Traffic

Moderator: bullock

Com 1 and Speech commands

Postby Donald Bennett » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:20 pm

OK, I have my Garmin eTrex (running in NMEA mode) and I have it connected, why does the mouse not like me now?
On a seperate issue, can the speech recognition in Windows XP Pro be used? I think I have everthing enabled, but for some reason the program is not responding to the commands.
Donald Bennett

Postby bullock » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:54 pm

Hi, Don.

Make sure the GPS is not plugged in when you're booting up. The operating system often thinks that a talkative device, such as the GPS, on the serial port at boot up is actually a mouse.

Also, if possible, make sure the external serial port is assigned a different number from whichever the mouse port is assigned. The BIOS setup (available on booting) might give you options to control which port number is assigned to the external connector.

If this doesn't help, let me know what else you might learn from trying this. Also, I'm curious how the mouse is already connected -- is it just the internal touch pad or pointing stick?

Regarding the speech recognition engine: I don't think that Windows XP Pro comes with a speech recognition engine, but Office XP does, and it's the same one that TS/PP-Draft uses. It's the MS SAPI 5.1 speech recognition engine -- the same one on the TS/PP-Draft CD. So if you have that one already installed, then you can use it. If you have a SAPI 4 engine installed, then that won't be sufficient; you'll still have to install the SAPI5 engine. The two can coexist.

Regards.
Greg
bullock
Site Admin

Return to Program Operation