Export travel time/delay report straight to excel

Questions and discussions about requests for new features in future versions of Tru-Traffic

Moderator: bullock

Export travel time/delay report straight to excel

Postby Chris » Tue May 12, 2009 5:08 pm

As may be the case, there already is a way and I don't know it yet.

I would like to export the travel time and delay report straight to excel, instead of doing the copy paste that I'm currently doing. Too many human steps to mess-up.

Chris
Chris

Re: Export travel time/delay report straight to excel

Postby bullock » Tue May 12, 2009 5:31 pm

Thank you for the suggestion, Chris.

If you're thinking of exporting via a file, then as you suspected, there is already a way to do this.

In the travel time and delay report, click the Save button and make sure you save to an *.html file, which should be the default file type. You can open, or import, the resulting file with Excel, and it should preserve the formatting (which you can then modify, of course) and the table structure, just like when you paste. In other words, for importing purposes, you can treat the .html file as though it were an .xls file.

If instead you're thinking of a direct transfer, where a single button click in the travel time and delay report launches Excel as needed and displays the report there, then I'll consider that. Is this what you have in mind? Tru-Traffic cannot assume that Excel is installed on your machine, as there's a bit of a trend toward other, more open, office suites such as Google's and Open Office, but a middle ground may well be acceptable, where the Transfer button is available if you happen to have Excel installed, and unavailable otherwise.

Regards.
Greg
bullock
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Thu May 28, 2009 2:05 pm

The html file thing works as you said. Here are two other questions:

1. Would it be ok for me to change .htm file to .xls?
2. It would be nice if it would bundle everything into one file. The problem I was having was that I was putting all five delay report tabs in one excel file. I would like to remove the human factor.

Any suggestion?
Chris

Postby bullock » Thu May 28, 2009 2:37 pm

1. No, not before importing into Excel (after which you could File: Save As... an .xls file). Fundamentally, there's a difference between an html file, which is text-based, and an .xls file, which is binary. Tru-Traffic TS/PP saves only the text file, regardless of what extension you give it. Renaming the extension while otherwise preserving the contents would be misleading and is likely to cause problems for Excel or any other software trying to read it.
  2. That's a fine suggestion. At present, it's possible to save/copy the report tabs just one at a time. I'll try to add that to a future version, to save all tabs at once -- they'd still have to go to separate files, but they could all be saved in one step.

Regards.
Greg
bullock
Site Admin

Return to Feature Wish List