TSPPD ver 8.0: KML export

Questions and discussions about requests for new features in future versions of Tru-Traffic

Moderator: bullock

TSPPD ver 8.0: KML export

Postby Chris » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:07 am

Great job with ver 8.0! Here is a "feature wish list" for the new version. I have been playing around with the export KML file and I like the compatibility with Google Earth. My wish is that there was a way to adjust the camera view with the point value created. Specifically, can the KML file be created with a user adjusted "altitude, Look At" value?

Chris
Last edited by Chris on Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Re: TSPPD ver 8.0

Postby bullock » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:04 pm

Thank you, Chris.

And thank you for the fine suggestion. It's certainly possible to modify TSPPD to include altitude and Look At values in the KML file, but I believe it'd have to either
    (1) Calculate some reasonable values for the camera view parameters based on the points in the file, or
    (2) Let the user specify the camera view parameters before exporting.
I've found, though, that if the KML file includes a series of points, either locations for a signalized network or an entire trip log, then Google Earth seems to do (1) automatically, and that Google Earth provides easy controls for doing (2). I believe if you resave the KML file from Google Earth, it then includes the camera view parameters.

You may have something else in mind, though. Could you give more details?

Regards.
Greg
bullock
Site Admin

Re: TSPPD ver 8.0

Postby Chris » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:43 pm

My specific problem is that I export my trip file as a KML and I import the file into Google Earth. The file plays fine but, it plays at an altitude of 1000 feet. I would like the file to be played at a different altitude. The file I am working with, I would like to be played back at an altitude of 200'. I am not sure how to change this value other than the KML file having this info when it was exported.
Chris

Re: TSPPD ver 8.0: KML export

Postby bullock » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:27 am

In Google Earth, use the zoom control (near the right edge, about 2/3 the way up the window) to set the altitude before playing the trip log. Depending on your settings, you may have to move the mouse over that area to see the zoom control. It preserves your preferred altitude during playback. (The altitude is displayed at the right side of the status at the bottom of the window). In Tools: Options: Navigation, you may specify whether you want the automatic tilt when zooming.

You have something more in mind. If so, perhaps you would describe it further.

Regards.
Greg
bullock
Site Admin

Postby bullock » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:45 pm

Right-clicking the trip log's folder in Google Earth gives another option. You can "Snapshot View", which associates the current camera view parameters with the trip log folder. When you export that folder to a KML file, the alititude and other camera view parameters are in the KML file. Thereafter, or even as an alternate route, if you right-click the trip log folder and choose Properties: View, you get full control over each camera parameter stored with the trip log folder.

One disadvantage of doing this in Google Earth instead of in TS/PP-Draft is that you have to do it separately for each trip log folder. But once the view is set as desired for one trip log foder, it's pretty simple to use Snapshot View for each of the other folders.

Perhaps you have in mind something even easier or better, though? If so, please let me know.

Regards.
Greg
bullock
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:03 pm

Hopefully this reply will summarize the findings Greg and I had so far. I love using Google Earth as it allows the user to have a better idea of what happened during the travel time run.

What I have found in my conversations with Greg Bullock is that there are two different play buttons, one that controls the time (it will allow you to show a specified block of time) as time progresses. This is the play button located toward the top right of the map window. The other play button is used for creating a "tour" as you travel from point to point in your file.

Either of these buttons can be used with the kml file that tsppd exports. The touring play button requires additional view information about the point as it tours through these points (this is where I kept referring to the default 1000 ft view it would give me). This play feature is helpful as this is what Google Earth Pro edition uses to record high quality movies. It will individually record each frame so a one minute movie may take three minutes to record.

The non-touring play button creates a nice effect as it will allow you to display a block of points at a time. The effect is like a snake of points traveling down your arterial. I currently like this play button feature better because of the effect you get, and it allows you to show more information faster.

Greg is adding a little speed information to each point that way when you display this information on Google Earth you will see colored points that correspond to speed. Very nice effect!
Chris

Return to Feature Wish List